The Grubb Law Group Fighting for Justice from
the Workplace to the Marketplace
Phone: 304-982-7755
Toll Free: 1-866-851-9292

Know your rights to Family and Medical Leave Act

The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) is a piece of federal legislation that has two primary aims. It ensures that qualified workers who need to take time off to tend to either their's or an immediate family member's illness can take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave to do so. It also allows that worker to take that off that time from work without them having to fear losing their job for doing so. Workers and their workplaces must meet certain criteria to be covered by FMLA.

Employers only have to abide by FMLA if they have more than 50 employees. All of them must work within 75 miles from where the petitioning worker is stationed to work.

Workers must have been employed at their job for at least 12 months or to have worked at least 1,250 hours to be eligible for FMLA leave. They are entitled to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave during 12 months.

All workers are entitled to job reinstatement privileges provided that they take unpaid leave in alignment with these parameters. Employers are required to reinstate a worker to the same or equivalent job or position once the FMLA period is over. Workers in some jurisdictions qualify to receive paid family leave for at least a portion of the 12 weeks of FMLA.

There are many reasons that workers can take FMLA. They can take it to prepare for the birth of their child or to take care of their newborn. Parents may qualify to take FMLA if they're adopting or fostering a child. A worker can also request to take this type of leave if their child, spouse or parent is suffering from a serious health condition. Any employee that is called up to active duty may be able to take FMLA as well.

If you've been denied FMLA benefits by your employer, fired or have come back from family leave in a reduced role or capacity, then you may be able to sue your Charleston company for damages. Don't be denied your right to medical leave. An experienced attorney can help you determine if you have an actionable case here in West Virginia, and if so, what steps you need to take moving forward.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Learn How We Can Help

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

The Grubb Law Group

The Grubb Law Group
1114 Kanawha Boulevard East
Charleston, WV 25301

Toll Free: 866-851-9292
Phone: 304-982-7755
Fax: 304-345-3355
Map & Directions